Description

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

CHICKEN POT PIE


Chicken pot pie is one of my favorite comfort foods. It brings back memories of fighting over the mini chicken pie crusts that my mom would place on the top. I'm on the hunt to find one of those mini chicken cookie cutters to up my chicken pot pie game. This pie is delicious and in two days, I'd eaten the whole thing, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This would be the time to use that monkey emoji. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

For the dough, you will need:
2 cups flour
1 cup cold butter (2 sticks)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon white vinegar
3 tablespoons cold water

In a food processor (I use this one, which I highly recommend), add flour, butter, and salt. Pulse until it looks like little pebbles and the butter is thoroughly mixed. Add the egg, pulse. Add the white vinegar, pulse. Add the cold water, pulsing between each addition. I usually end up adding an additional tablespoon of cold water. Depending on the climate you live in, you may need to add or subtract, so be sure to check the consistency. Dump pie dough onto a lightly floured surface, form into a ball, and refrigerate until ready to roll out.

For the pot pie filling, you will need:

1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup diced white onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/3 cup flour
1 3/4 cups of chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
3 cups shredded chicken (I usually use rotisserie chicken that I shred for convenience or just bake a few frozen chicken breasts ahead of time)
1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas and carrots

Saute onion in butter until just tender. Add flour and mix until forms a rue like mixture. Remove from heat. Add chicken brother and milk and bring to a boil. Continue boiling for one minute. Remove from heat. Add chicken and peas and carrots and mix evenly. Keep warm on the stove.

Remove the pie dough from the refrigerator and cut in half. On a floured surface, roll out pie dough to fit your pie pan. Lay dough into pie pan. Spoon the filling into the pie dough. Roll out the other half of the pie dough out to cover the top of the pie. Pinch the pie dough together. With a fork, poke holes throughout the top of the pie.

Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes, until pie crust is golden brown.

**This is a great recipe to make in batches and then freeze to have on hand for a quick dinner. I made four pies in an hour and a half, gave two to my parents and brother, and frozen the other two. 

**Also, I usually just crimp the ends of my pie dough with a fork, since I'm using it create the holes anyways. This video from Bon Appetit is helpful if you want to get fancy.

1 comment :

  1. This looks amazing! Thanks for the recipe!!

    Adi xx
    www.fancycorrectitude.com

    ReplyDelete