Description

Monday, March 28, 2016

BANANA CAKE


When most people have bananas that are starting to go bad, they choose to throw together a batch of banana bread. Which is all well and good, but my favorite dessert is banana cake. I have it each year for my birthday and it's perfect. This year, I couldn't decide between this and chocolate cake and ended up just having both, because birthdays. This week, I had a bunch of bananas that I would never eat by themselves (I prefer mine practically green), so I treated myself to this cake.

For the cake, you will need:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 3 bananas, I never measure)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine softened butter and sugar until mixed. Add eggs. Mix until smooth. Add sour cream and vanilla. Continue mixing. In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Combine with wet mixture. Mix and add mashed bananas. Batter will be slightly chunky and not completely smooth. Pour into buttered cake pan (I used two 9 inch rounds but you can also use a 10x15 pan). Bake for 20 minutes (until toothpick comes out clean).

For the frosting, you will need:
1/2 cup of butter
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip butter until it is light and fluffy, about three minutes minutes. Add the egg yolk and vanilla and continue beating for three minutes. Add powdered sugar and continue mixing until smooth. If needed, add additional powdered sugar or a little milk for consistency.

1 comment :