Description

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

FRESH PESTO


This week will be our last round of tomatoes and the rest of everything from the vegetable garden. The tomatoes have been insane: salsa, sauce, soup, just about everything you can think of. We also tried something new this year and did basil. Usually we just add basil to our sauces and soups but my mom found a pesto recipe and it's the first one I've actually liked. We make pesto at work all the time but it's always too chunky and not nearly smooth enough. The secret to making the perfect pesto: butter. I don't know why but most recipes don't call for butter, maybe the health factor. But if I'm going to eat something, I want to enjoy it. So add the butter I say.

I made homemade bread, which is about the easiest thing ever and so much more delicious. It takes a bit of planning because you have to start the dough the day before but it's so simple. I toasted the bread a bit, added a good portion of pesto, topped with a fresh sliced tomato, sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and loads of parmesan cheese. My mom prefers mozerella but I add parmesan to everything because it's my favorite.

You will need:

6 tablespoon softened butter
3/4 cup olive oil
2-3 teaspoon chopped garlic
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups of fresh basil (add more to taste)
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/3 cup cashews
1/3 cup walnuts

Combine everything in food process except the olive oil. Once everything is chopped pretty well, begin adding the olive oil slowly until a smooth consistency..]

Pesto will also keep in the fridge for months, as long as you keep adding a bit of olive oil to the top every time you use it. This is my preferred olive oil. I store the pesto in these jars because it's easiest to top with olive oil plus you can dip your spoon in.

P.S.: I'm thinking of growing basil inside so I always have a fresh batch. Although this article seems a little juvenile, it has actually been really helpful.

1 comment :

  1. Pesto is soooo good- and this version sounds amazing!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete