Description

Friday, July 17, 2015

WHAT I'M LISTENING TO: PODCASTS


When everyone was obsessed with "Serial" about a year ago, I decided to see what all the fuss was all about. I had heard of podcasts before but really didn't know what they were. I had never even opened the podcast app on my phone. After downloading "Serial" and listening to it while driving, I became addicted. Since then, I am constantly listening to NPR. The other day, in a conversation with my parents, I randomly asked, "Do farmers have insurance policies on their crops? And what exactly do they cover? I was listening to this writer talk about the feral pig problem in Texas and was wondering if feral pigs destroyed a farmer's crops, would they be covered by their insurance?" My mother was like, "You just happened to be listening to a radio show about the feral pig problem in Texas? Who are you?" (It was one of "Fresh Air" podcasts, one of my favorites. Also, in case you were wondering, farmers do have insurance policies on their crops, that usually cover everything but acts of God. And yes, those are the exact words used in the insurance policies.)

Anyways, I wanted to share a few of my current favorites:

1 // "Fresh Air": This show features intimate conversations with today's biggest luminaries. (I stole that from their website.) This week, I got really excited for her interview with Amy Schumer (who I've recently discovered and LOVE) and Judd Apatow. I can't wait to see Trainwreck.

2 // "This American Life": Each week, Ira Glass brings together three stories on one fascinating subject. Last week it was "Is this how other people see me?".

3 // "Ask Me Another": A take on a pub like trivia game, with catchy questions, you'll be shouting the answers as you drive.

4 // "Mystery Show": I've recently discovered this podcast, about a girl who solves mysteries. It can at times be somewhat redundant, but a recent episode tried to solve the mystery of Jake Gyllenhaal's height, and he ended up calling in to the show, which was highly entertaining and endearing.

5 // "TED Radio Hour": I know, TED talks. I listen selectively, but occasionally one of these touches me in ways that I think about all the time. An example: an episode on the sibling bond caused me to approach, and at least think about, my relationship with my siblings differently. Cradle to grave, man.

Do you have any other podcasts that I should be listening to?

No comments :

Post a Comment