Description

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

5 WAYS TO SLEEP BETTER TONIGHT


Really, truly, the only thing in life I have a fear of missing out on in sleep. When I see articles about "faking beauty rest" or "look like you've slept a full eight hours", I think, wouldn't it just be easier to actually sleep, get beauty rest, and wake refreshed? None of this faking business. I've struggled with sleeping for years now, falling asleep and staying asleep (I sound like a commercial) but am a person who can not even remotely function without it. If I don't sleep everyone around me knows it and by 2PM I am completely and totally useless. Over time, by trial and error, I've found a few things that help me:

1 // Have a routine and stick with it. Mine includes a shower, an episode on Netflix, earplugs, and a candle. Whatever works for you, having a routine will help your body signal to itself that it's time to start getting ready for sleep.

2 // Getting up and going to bed at the same time every day can be tough, especially on weekends when all I want to do is stay up late and sleep in but I've found I'm much more refreshed if I go to bed and wake up at about the same time every day. Another upside, I find myself to be much more productive on the weekends.

2 // Set a reminder on your phone for when it's time to start settling down. Distractions come easy these days (phones, TVs, iPads) and I have an alarm set when it's time for me to power down. And a second reminder for nights when the first reminder just isn't enough.

3 // Plan out your morning. Knowing what I'm going to eat for breakfast, planning out my outfit, ironing and washing anything that needs it, and having everything I'll need ready to go for any daily errands, helps eliminate stress the next morning, making me look forward to getting up and enjoying breakfast and some quiet time before a hectic day begins.

4 // Chamomille tea. Chamomille is a natural sleep aid and on nights I'm having trouble, I get up and make a cup. The whistle of the kettle in the darkness is relaxing and the cup of tea therapeutic.

5 // Melatonin for sleepless nights. Some nights my mind just doesn't stop racing and worrying and usually I'll take a melatonin pill. Melatonin is naturally produced by your body to induce sleep and taking a little in pill form will help to give your body an extra push.

Do you have any tips and tricks for sleeping? I can use all the help I can get.

1 comment :

  1. I totally agree with all of these! Having a routine and planning out my morning definitely help me, and I find that not letting myself be on my computer in bed really helps too. And yes to tea. Always yes to tea :)

    ReplyDelete